Knee pain is a very common problem seen in a majority of persons across the world. It cannot be ignored and it requires immediate attention. If ignored for a long time, this may lead to disability and confine the person to one place. There is joint pain, stiffness, and restriction of movement of the knee joints. The pain is so severe that the activities of daily living also seems a burden. There are many things that can be done to reduce knee pain. The cause of knee pain may be due to aging, an injury, or arthritis (Osteoarthritis) of the knee joint.
Here are a few dos and don’ts that may help in reducing the pain.
Check these 5 dos & don’ts to reduce your knee pain.
- Don’t take too much rest- Not only your body muscles may become weaker even your joint’s pain may become worse. Take consultation from your physiotherapist to guide you with knee pain exercises that are safe for your knees & keep doing it.
- Do exercise– Exercises help in strengthening the muscles, increase flexibility & also support your knee. You can also do swimming, walking, elliptical machines & bicycles, etc.
- Don’t avoid your weight– Excess weight may increase the stress on your knee and if you have inflammatory arthritis then it may become worse. You don’t need to have the ideal weight, you just need to start working to reduce the weight.
- “RICE”– This process is good for joint pain caused due to minor injury or Arthritis.
- R(Rest) – Give some rest to your knees.
- I(Ice) – Massage your knees with ice to reduce swelling.
- C(Compression)- Start wearing a compression bandage.
- E(Elevation)- Keep your knee elevated.
- Don’t wear bad shoes- We actively wear shoes in our daily life for hours without noticing how it can affect your knees badly. So, if you are facing knee pain, then check your shoes first. Is it giving you good comfort? If not, then change it urgently.
Tags: 5 Knee pain dos and don'ts, Arthritis, Knee pain, RICE