These available options or alternatives to knee replacement surgery can save you from complex knee replacement surgery which can reduce the pain and inflammation in your knee joint.
- The first alternative to knee replacement surgery most doctors will suggest or advise changes in your lifestyle. Which includes weight loss; avoid hyper activities like running and twisting, which can make the knee pain worse, and also encourage you to do ‘no’ or low impact exercise & may suggest other required changes in your routine to reduce the stress on your knees.
Exercise and Physical Therapy
- To reduce pain or alternative to knee replacement the doctor may advise exercise and physical therapy to improve strength and mobility. Exercises like riding a stationary bike(exercise cycle) and stretching exercises like Knee squeeze, Sit to Stand, Short arc knee extension with weights, VMO exercises, etc to strengthen your knee. Therapy and exercises can make your leg muscles stronger and helps in reducing the pain.
- Because of Eroded cartilage, the bones rub against each other which leads to Arthritis pain caused by swelling in the knee. It can provide temporary relief once the swelling of the tissue in the knee reduces and partially delays knee surgery.
- As an alternative to knee replacement surgery doctors may prescribe anti-inflammatory medications to reduce swelling in the knee joints. The COX-2 inhibitors reduce the swelling and pain, though temporarily.
- Glucosamine/chondroitin have shown efficacy in joint flexibility improvement and pain reduction. These supplements can slow down the cartilage degradation process in the joint and reduce the pain of bone on bone. Glucosamine & Chondroitin both are natural building molecules in the body. Glucosamine enhances new cartilage growth and also repairs it. Chondroitin enhances water retention.
- Knee braces can be used as a support to provide stability to the knee joint. It is made up of plastic, metal, leather and foam which are designed in a manner to stabilize the knee joint, reduce pain and swelling. This method can delay knee surgery by providing short term relief.
Treatment With Autologous Adipose-Derived Stromal Vascular Fraction
- The stromal vascular fraction is very safe in comparison to other treatment modalities:
- Firstly, it is autologous, it means, the cells obtained are of the patient’s own.
- Secondly, the processing and administration of the injection are done in the same single surgical sitting
- There are no age limitations for this treatment
- Preferred in the early grade of osteoarthritis
- BMI of the patient is not a limiting factor
- Done under local anesthesia
- Patients can start walking from the same day
Adipose-derived Stromal Vascular Fraction (Ad-SVF) contains a heterogeneous mix of adipose stromal cells, progenitor cells, pericytes, T-regulatory cells, endothelial progenitor cells, anti-inflammatory M2 macrophages, extracellular matrix, and many other cells types.
The process is done in these basic steps – lipoaspiration of adipose tissue, ultrasonic cavitation, centrifugation, and filtration which takes around 40 minutes. The delivery of the stromal vascular fraction is done within the articular space of the joint. The adipose tissue obtained is not cultured using any enzymes. The patient can get back to normal activities within a week.
Tags: Knee Pain Treatment, knee replacement